5 Hacks That’ll Keep Your Activewear Feeling Like New!
Washing workout clothes might seem like a mundane task, but trust me, it's the key to a successful workout wardrobe and workout. You don't want to be that person at the gym with smelly, stained clothes that scream "I haven't been washed in weeks” or have the tights that sag because you put them through the wrong wash cycle.
So, grab your favourite workout playlist, put on your ‘get shit done’ leggings, and let's get the washing done!
- Give your tights a break. Are you wearing the same tights day in and day out, with no breaks in between? Don't worry, this is a no-judgment zone. We’ve all done it, but we’re here to tell you that rotating your tights on a daily basis is key to keeping them looking and fitting their best. Rest days give the lycra time to rebalance (who knew, right?). If the goal is to always get the best, most comfortable fit possible, then rotating is an absolute must. And if that tight or bike short is the only one that really does it for you — buy multiples so you can rotate them. Shop tights online
- Separate those colours and fabric types like it's the Hunger Games. We're talking about serious business here, people. You don't want your printed leggings to turn into a funky shade of pink. And please, for the love of all things holy, avoid using fabric softeners. They might make your clothes feel soft, but they can also reduce their moisture-wicking properties, which is like taking away the superpowers of your workout clothes. We don't want that, do we?
- Pre-treat those stains. We all have that one piece of clothing that just won't let go of that stubborn stain. Don't give up on it just yet! A little bit of detergent or stain remover can go a long way. Let it sit for a few minutes and let it work its magic before throwing it in the wash.
- Now, it's time for the main event - the wash. Cold water is your new best friend. It might not be as exciting as hot water, but it's gentle on your clothes and will keep them from shrinking or fading. And please, don't overload the washing machine. Give your clothes some room to breathe, just like you do during a yoga class.
- Last but not least, the grand finale - the drying process. Skip the dryer and let your clothes air dry. Trust me, your clothes will thank you for it. Plus, it's a great opportunity to show off your clothesline skills. Just make sure to avoid direct sunlight, or you'll end up with some wonky-shaped clothes.
And there you have it, folks - the ultimate guide to washing workout clothes. Go ahead and take care of your workout clothes like they're your gym partners. They've got your back during those tough workouts, and they deserve some TLC.
It's easy to care for tights, crops and tops - it’s just a matter of knowing the rules of engagement!
For more top tips from our Active Truth community - join our Facebook group.