How to strengthen your pelvic floor… and why you’ll want to
What actually is the pelvic floor?
- Incontinence (bladder or bowel)
- Increased frequency of urination
- Uncontrollable breaking of wind
- Swelling or heaviness in the vaginal area
- Increasing age
- Chronic cough
- Chronic constipation
Exercise time! Ok so for those of you that are used to sweating it out at the gym or crunching those abs at pilates, this is going to seem as boring. But small, simple exercises are what will strengthen your pelvic floor. So this is how we do it… start in a sitting position, no one will even know you are doing it. I’m currently doing it as I sit in my local cafe writing this!
- Warm-up: slowly squeeze up and in around your vagina and release slow and gently. Imagine squeezing a tampon that’s inside you. Repeat 4-5 times.
- Holds: Now do 10 x 5 seconds holds (rest between)
- Quick flicks: squeeze up and in quickly and strongly x 10 (this is needed to be trained for when we cough and sneeze to prevent any whoopsies)
HOT TIP: Choose a recurring event like your phone ringing or getting a DM as a reminder to do your exercises.
Written by Shannan Ballin, The Feel Good Physio
Shannan has been a Physiotherapist for over 14 years. She is the mum of 3 beautiful young children with a very active family life. She is a lover of coffee, cocktails, and sport. Having lived in Sydney for a number of years, she has now returned to her home town of Brisbane and is practising as a physiotherapist out of Family Doctors Plus in Windsor, Brisbane.
How going alcohol-free can make you fitter, healthier and happier
For many of us a glass (or three) of wine after work feel like a stress reliever, and weekend lunches with girlfriends over rosé is part of our soc...Read More
How to achieve healthy postpartum weight loss
Crazy exercises, crash diets and Hollywood fads aren’t the way to achieve healthy postpartum weight loss. Take a look at tips to lose weight the he...Read More
400 parkruns! Fay's running milestone.
Fay Morgan recently completed her 400th parkrun, making her ranked 13th for the most events completed in Australia! We spoke with Fay about her in...Read More